Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Love Letter Challenge


This entry was originally written for the CBC Valentine Love Letter (?) Contest. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. 


I sank into my seat like a stone dropped in water. Tired, I closed my eyes and shut the world out, seeking shelter in my sleep.

But dreams began to invade my sanctuary. They came like a drizzle, a hint of a smile, a whisper of a voice. But soon there was a downpour.

Voices gave way to curved lips and pinched cheeks. The lines of your jaw lead down to your throat, where a pulse throbbed in the wake of titter. And the titter, born from your smiles, fledged into a laugh and rose through the air, like a bird let lose.

Troubled I woke and our eyes met. I became a human popsicle. Like a breeze you whip past me, and I shudder when I think of the chill in your eyes. How long has is it been since we last met?

Finally, the engine roars into life and goes rolling down the road. Inside the vehicle, we move as one. Everything I see you see, the air you let go, I take in. The bell that rings for you rings for me too.

I smiled. You are here and not just in my dreams.

As I look out the window, I spot the restaurant, the one we went to on our first date. I see the cherry blossom, under the boughs of which we shared our first kiss.

Each building, each passing structure, reminds me of you.

But they pass me by like the days passed by.

Everything vanishes into the void as the bus drivers on.

And each moment is turned into a memory as time turns on.

And I realize with a pang that like the days before, this too will end.

If only the earth stood still.

2 comments:

  1. Good one! "Once, you were my greatest fear; you were my deepest desire"- Tells it all. Keep writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! "Once, you were my greatest fear; you were my deepest desire"- Tells it all. Keep writing:)

    ReplyDelete